Fundraising is a great way to have fun and meet some new people, but it’s important to make sure your event is safe and legal, whatever you’re planning.


Ask your local authority whether or not you need to obtain any special licences (such as public entertainment, collection or alcohol licences). If you are holding the event in a public place, you must have written permission from the council or landowner.


If you hold a small raffle on the day of your activity you do not need a licence, so long as all ticket sales and the draw itself take place during the main event. It is okay if your event lasts more than one day. Tickets must all be sold for the same price with no discounts applied. You must make it clear who is running the raffle. Check the latest information and advice from the Gambling Commission and from the Institute of Fundraising.

Risk assessments

Identify any hazards and assess any risks at your activity that you’ll need to consider. Ensure you have adequate first aid cover available for the scale of your activity. If you’re not sure, check with your local council.


Please remember you are responsible for the activity and Orpheus cannot accept liability for any fundraising activity or event you undertake. If you are planning an activity that involves the general public you’ll need to budget for public liability insurance, which can be obtained from any insurer. If you are holding the event in a venue which has liability insurance (such as a village hall or pub) check they have the appropriate insurance and that it covers your activity.

The money

For your own protection, if at all possible, make sure you count the money you've collected with another person present and have them verify the total amount raised. Ask people who want to make a donation by cheque to make it payable to the Orpheus Centre rather than you personally. Make sure any cash donated is kept in a secure place and is banked as soon as possible.

Get consent

You will need to get parental permission if children are helping at your event or if you’re taking photographs of children. If your event is on private property, get permission from the owner or manager.

Food hygiene

Food safety laws apply when food is available, whether it is for sale or not. Ensure you follow food hygiene procedures. For guidance contact your local council for food hygiene regulations at events or see the Food Standards Agency website.


It is illegal to carry out house-to-house or public street collections without a licence. Please speak to your local council for more information.


Keep records of everything you do for future reference.

Visit the Institute of Fundraising website for extra advice and to ensure everything you are doing is legal.

For more information about how you can support us click here.